Monday, August 27, 2012

Pork Sinigang


Sinigang is one of son's favorite dishes. He likes anything with broth, soup or sauce.

This day, for lunch, I decided to surprise him with pork sinigang. He went to school early to practice for his dance number for the celebration of Linggo ng Wika. He will also participate in the singing contest so I am excited. It is also a National Heroes day--a no-work day for me and I don't want to miss the chance of preparing home cooked meal for my one and only.


Sinigang is one of the signature Filipino dishes. It is a tamarind soup based dish with different variations--pork, beef, chicken, fish and shrimp as the main ingredient and then you add vegetables like raddish, eggplant, okra, string beans, and water spinach (kangkong) leaves. I think it is one of the most versatile of all soup based dishes in the Philippines.


I can consider sinigang as a comfort food. It reminds me of my conversations with my grandmother when I was still living in their house. I prefer eating sinigang in a bowl so that I can enjoy its soup better and I am Asian, so naturally I like to eat it with steamed rice.

If you want to try this dish, here is the recipe:

1 kilo of pork belly or pork ribs cut into serving portions
2 liters of water
2 red onions, sliced
4 red tomatoes, quartered
1 raddish, cut diagonally
2 eggplants, cut diagonally
4 pieces okra, cut in half
3 pieces capsicum (siling haba)
2 pieces taro (gabi), quartered
1 bunch string beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
1 bunch water spinach (kangkong)
1 pack sinigang mix

1. In a pot, boil 2 liters of water and add the tomatoes, onions and sinigang mix. I usually mix the tomatoes and onions with 1 tsp. of salt  in a bowl before I put it in the pot.
2. Put in the pork and bring to a boil until it becomes tender. Adjust the taste by adding salt. There should be a balance of sourness and saltiness.
3. Put in the taro, raddish and okra. Bring to a boil or until the vegetables are slightly cooked. Then add the eggplant and string beans. Do not overcook the vegetables.
4. Add the chili. Turn off the heat. Put in last the water spinach and then cover.
5. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment